**We currently do not accept bookings for placenta encapsulation from external clients due to high workload. We are only processing placentas from our in house birthing clients.**
Placenta encapsulation is the process of turning the placenta into capsules. Traditional Chinese Medicine has known about the wisdom of this revitalising placenta medicine and remedy for hundreds of years. Many women are rediscovering how the vitamins, minerals and hormones of the placenta can help in transforming their postnatal experience.
The large iron content of the placenta can aid in avoiding symptoms of postnatal depression by preventing fatigue from iron deficiency anaemia. Ingestion of the placenta is also known to dramatically improve milk supply. This might be of particular importance for mothers who had previous breastfeeding issues, such as, low milk supply or suffer from insufficient glandular tissue. Reintroducing placental substances will aid your recovery in the postpartum period by rebalancing your hormone levels thus preventing for example the Baby Blues or Postnatal Depression.
The encapsulation process should begin within 24 to 48 hours of the birth and we endeavour to collect your placenta from your home or the hospital within 4 to 12 hours after the birth. The hormones that the placenta retains have a shelf life. By the time the placenta passes the age of 72 hours, many of those hormones will have degraded and the resulting capsules will not be as potent as when the encapsulation process begins within the first 24 hours of birth. The capsules will still contain the iron and other vitamins and minerals, even though the hormones have faded.
Methods of Preparation
Which method of encapsulation to choose from is entirely up to your own beliefs, desires and preferences. No method of encapsulation has been shown to be more superior or beneficial over the other.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
In Traditional Chinese Medicine it is believed that birth opens up the body and this is considered to be very ‘yin’ or cold. Steaming the placenta with warming herbs such as Ginger before dehydrating it, is adding the ‘yang’ energy or heat required to warm up and nourish the body postpartum.
Please note that the TCM method of placenta encapsulation merely refers to the way in which the placenta is prepared. Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbs will not be added to your placenta capsules. However, if you wish for TCM herbs to be added to your placenta capsules, this service can be arranged following a TCM consultation with Karen Pohlner, our TCM practitioner.
- Raw Food Method
This method follows the principles of a Raw Food Diet. The placenta will not be steamed based on the concept that the heat destroys vital enzymes. The temperature during this method of placental preparation will not exceed 118F. This method of encapsulation can take up to 36 hours as the placenta will need a longer time for dehydration.
With the TCM method of preparation you will get your placenta capsules back within 24 hours of placenta pick up. With the Raw Food method the dehydration of your placenta takes a little longer as the process of steaming is skipped and the placenta capsules will be ready within 36 hours of placenta pick up.
Depending on the size of the placenta you will get between 75 to 200 capsules. I use K-Caps Vegetarian Capsules, which are Kosher and Halal certified.
- Placental Print
- Cord Keepsake
The placental print is done before washing and preparing the placenta and it is printed with the natural blood of the placenta. The cord keepsake involves dehydrating the cord in the shape of a symbol, such as, a heart or the first letter of your baby’s name.
Training & Certification
Martina is a Registered Midwife and has been fully trained by Placenta Benefits.info (PBi) as an Encapsulation Specialist. Obtaining a certificate in maintaining food safety, including safe food handling and preparation, was a mandatory requirement for completion of the placenta encapsulation training course.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine or Raw Food placenta encapsulation $220
- Twin placenta encapsulation $290
- Complimentary Placenta Print & Cord Keepsake
- Placenta collection is within 8 hours of birth notification during the day from 08.00 to 21.30hrs (no placenta collection overnight- placenta will be picked up 9am the next morning)
- Free placenta collection:
- within 10km radius of Brighton East (Cabrini Hospital, Sandringham Hospital)
- for clients that engage our birthing, postnatal or lactation services
- you can drop off the placenta at our clinic in Brighton East
- $0.82/km travel fee for placenta collection outside 10km radius of Brighton East
Placenta Capsule Delivery:
- Placenta capsules guaranteed to be ready within 24 hours of placenta receival
- Pick up of capsules from our clinic in Brighton East for no extra fee
- Australia Post Registered Mail $10- guaranteed overnight delivery in metro areas with parcel tracking, signature required on delivery
- $0.82/km travel fee for placenta capsule drop off